Cheryl Day Chocolate Church Cake Recipe is a decadent cake with a chocolate sponge layer, dark chocolate buttercream filling, and sprinkles. This dessert is perfect for church or Easter celebrations. Here is the recipe for this church-style cake.
How to make Cheryl Day Chocolate Church Cake Recipe?
- 3/4 cup (1 1/2 sticks) unsalted butter
- 6 ounces dark chocolate, plus 2 tablespoons chopped cacao nibs
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 5 large eggs at room temperature
- 3 cups granulated sugar, divided evenly among 6 bowls and divided into thirds if using tablespoons instead of cups.
Preheat oven to 350°F (175°C). Grease two 8-inch round baking pans and line them with parchment. Find the pudding recipe and follow the directions on page 95. Meanwhile, combine melted butter and chopped chocolate. In a medium bowl, beat the eggs lightly with an electric mixer until foamy.
Add 1 cup of sugar and mix in the melted chocolate mixture. Sift flour, baking powder, salt, and cocoa powder into another small bowl. Mix in the flour to the egg mixture. Stir the dry ingredients into the egg mixture until smooth.
Divide batter between baking pans and bake for 20-25 minutes, or until cake springs back when lightly touched at the center and a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
Place pans on a wire rack, top with parchment paper, and let cake layers cool completely before filling with buttercream frosting.
Roll out chilled cake layers on parchment paper to 1/8 inch thickness. With a long pastry bag, pipe buttercream frosting onto one cake layer and sprinkle with chopped chocolate bits on top. Place another cake layer on top and gently press them together to form a sandwich.
Gently remove the parchment paper from the sides of the sandwiches. Using a knife or bench scraper, cut into 3 equal squares.
With a long pastry bag and a round tip, fill the center square with buttercream frosting and sprinkle with chopped chocolate. Repeat with the remaining squares.
Frost the top of the sandwiches. It was using a toothpick, pipe buttercream frosting onto the remaining sides of the tops in an irregular pattern that resembles church windows or stained-glass windows. Sprinkle with chopped chocolate bits to cover any seams or visible portions of frosting.
Dip the tip of the cake in hot water for a few seconds and press decoratively on top, or use a picture stencil. Sprinkle with additional cacao nibs.
Cover the Styrofoam disk with plastic wrap, place it on a business card or cardboard, and allow it to dry overnight. Fill in any gaps with any frosting of your choice, such as white chocolate buttercream.
When dry, apply another coating of frosting to smooth out any edges and make the surface shiny.
Place the cake on the platter, then place the platter in the refrigerator for about an hour to allow the frosting to set.
Step 11. Keep cake refrigerated until ready to serve.
Serving ideas for Cheryl Day Chocolate Church Cake Recipe
- Serve this cake for a festive and fun Easter celebration.
- Serve Cheryl Day Chocolate Church Cake Recipe as a gift at Christmas or Easter. Give it to your favorite teacher, children of your church family, or childcare activists this coming holiday season.
- Place the cake in a clear cellophane bag and include some Easter jelly beans.
- Serve Cheryl Day Chocolate Church Cake Recipe to family, friends, or guests that stop by for a surprise visit.
- Use Cheryl Day Chocolate Church Cake Recipe as part of your Easter Sunday brunch menu for a creative take on the traditional favorite.
- Serve the cake to your fellow volunteers at school and make them feel appreciated for their gifts of service to the students and faculty in your community.
- Give Cheryl Day Chocolate Church Cake Recipe to any teacher you know who is retiring from their volunteer duties at school.
Nutrition fact Cheryl Day Chocolate Church Cake
Cheryl Day Chocolate Church Cake is a cake that should not be missed, especially when it is available in a local bakery near you this Easter season. This is a new and unique take on the classic chocolate cake. Like its predecessor, the Cheryl Day Chocolate Church Cake Recipe also has a delicious buttercream filling and sprinklers on top for Easter celebrations or church functions.
I hope that you and your guests will enjoy this fabulous dessert. Enjoy!