Get ready to embark on a culinary journey that will leave your taste buds dancing with joy!
These Chocolate Chip Whoopie Pies are a delightful twist on the classic treat, blending the rich flavor of chocolate chips with the soft, pillowy goodness of Whoopie Pies.
Whether you’re a seasoned baker or a kitchen novice, this recipe is sure to be a hit at any gathering or as a special treat for yourself.
- Preparation Time: 20 minutes
- Cooking Time: 10 minutes Total
- Time: 30 minutes
- Serving Size: 12 whoopie pies
For the Whoopie Pies:
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup buttermilk
For the Chocolate Chip Filling:
- 1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1/4 cup powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Preheat the Oven: Preheat your oven to 350°F (175 °C)—line up two baking sheets with parchment paper.
- Prepare Dry Ingredients: In a medium bowl, sift together the all-purpose flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Set aside.
- Cream the Butter and Sugar: In a large mixing bowl, cream together the softened butter and granulated sugar until light and fluffy. This should take about 3-4 minutes.
- Add Eggs and Vanilla: Beat in the eggs one at a time, ensuring each egg is fully incorporated before adding the next. Add the vanilla extract and mix well.
- Alternate Dry Ingredients and Buttermilk: Gradually add the sifted dry ingredients to the wet ingredients, alternating with buttermilk. Begin and end with the dry ingredients. Mix until just combined; do not overmix.
- Forming Whoopie Pies: Using a cookie scoop or a spoon, drop rounded tablespoons of batter onto the prepared baking sheets, leaving enough space between each for the whoopie pies to spread.
- Bake: Bake in the preheated oven for 10-12 minutes or until the tops spring back when lightly touched. Allow the whoopie pies to cool on the baking sheets for a few minutes before transferring them to a wire rack to cool completely.
- Prepare the Chocolate Chip Filling: In a heatproof bowl, melt the chocolate chips with the heavy cream in a double boiler or short bursts in the microwave. Stir until smooth. Allow the mixture to cool slightly before adding powdered sugar and vanilla extract. Beat until well combined.
- Assemble the Whoopie Pies: Once the Whoopie pies are completely cooled, spread a generous dollop of the chocolate chip filling on the flat side of one Whoopie pie and top it with another, creating a sandwich.
- Serve and Enjoy: Your Chocolate Chip Whoopie Pies are ready to be devoured! Serve them at room temperature and watch them disappear.
These Chocolate Chip Whoopie Pies are a perfect blend of chocolatey goodness and creamy filling, making them an irresistible treat for any occasion. Enjoy the soft texture and delightful flavor in every bite!
Nutrition facts of Chocolate Chip Whoopie Pie Recipe:
7 health benefits of Chocolate Chip Whoopie Pie Recipe:
1. high in protein:
Protein helps in muscle development and maintaining body tissues.
2. Reduces the risk of diabetes:
Antioxidants help decrease the risk of developing type 2 diabetes. Aim for at least two servings of fruit a day to lower your chance of increasing your antioxidant intake.
3. Prevents anemia:
Whoopie, pie is rich in iron, which increases red blood cell production and maintains hemoglobin levels to help prevent anemia.
4. Improves concentration:
Whoopie pie’s high sugar content is attributed to increased concentration and alertness.
5. Lower cholesterol levels:
Whoopie pie’s fat content lowers bad cholesterol that clogs your arteries.
6. High in antioxidants:
Chocolate chips are high in antioxidants to help prevent disease and cancer.
7. keep you fuller longer:
Pie is a complex carbohydrate that keeps you fuller for longer periods due to its fiber content, which also aids digestion.
What is whoopie pie filling made of?
Whoopie pie filling is made of cream cheese with sugar and chocolate chips.
What state is known for whoopie pies?
Whoopie pies are a Pennsylvania split bill. Amish and Mennonite communities make them frequently.
How long do homemade whoopie pies last?
Homemade whoopie pies last for two days refrigerated.
What’s another name for a whoopie pie?
A whoopie pie is also known as a chocolate cream pie or marshmallow pie.
Why do they call it whoopie pie?
Whoopie pie is an English translation of the Pennsylvania Dutch word “hope,” which means to gobble.
In General, Whoopie pies are made from a layer of chocolate cookie crust filled with a creamy white or pale-colored frosting.
They were originally called “black and whites” because the chocolate crumbs mixed with the white frosting create the appearance of an Oreo cookie, which is black and white.
Whoopie pies have been a Pennsylvania split bill for more than a century.
Whoopie pies are commonly sold at Amish/Mennonite farmers’ markets and bakeries.
How long do whoopie pies last unrefrigerated?
Whoopie pies last without refrigeration for about one week.
What are whoopie pies called in Pennsylvania?
Whoopie pies are “chocolate cream pie” or “white on white.”
How old are whoopie pies?
The whoopie pie was invented in the 1920s.
According to the Amish Cook, “whoopie pies were created partly to mimic ‘black and whites’ or Oreo cookies but with a local twist.”
Where did the name Gobs come from?
The name “gobs” comes from the traditional filling of whoopie pies. To fill a whoopie pie, take a bite out, then “gob” in the filling with your thumb.
How do you package a whoopie pie?
Whoopie pies come packaged in individual foil, aluminum, or paper bags.
Why are they called whoopie pies?
A whoopie pie is an English translation of the Pennsylvania Dutch word “hope,” which means to gobble.
What is Whoopie slang?
Whoopie is a slang term for a cake originating in Pennsylvania Dutch Country. It is pronounced like “whoopee.”
What does gob mean in slang?
Gob is a slang term for cake-related food.
What’s the difference between a moon pie and a whoopie pie?
Moon pies are made of graham crackers and mini marshmallows, while whoopie pies are made of white frosting and chocolate chips.
What is the origin of the whoopie pie?
The first commercially produced whoopie pie was invented in the 1920s.
How big are they?
Whoopie pies come in various sizes, but most commonly, there will be two to four servings. They can be slightly smaller than cupcakes.
Enjoy this easy and delicious whoopie pie recipe for some fun snacks!
I hope you will try this recipe, and please tell me what you think in the comment section below.
I appreciate your support and would love to see you enjoying more healthy recipes.