Warm up on a chilly day with a cup of rich, indulgent Dominican hot chocolate! This traditional Latin American drink is thick, sweet, and flavorful. Dominican hot chocolate is like a liquid chocolate bar in a mug, made with milk, cocoa powder, cinnamon, and vanilla.
This easy Dominican hot chocolate recipe will satisfy your chocolate cravings and help you experience an authentic taste of the Dominican Republic right in your kitchen.
The unique blend of spices like cinnamon and vanilla adds complexity, while the bittersweet cocoa powder provides intense chocolate flavor. Whether enjoying it for breakfast or an after-dinner treat, this hot chocolate recipe Never fails to delight.
Sip your way to chocolate bliss with this creamy, decadent beverage. This Dominican hot chocolate recipe yields a cup of pure chocolate goodness made from simple ingredients you likely have on hand. It’s the perfect cozy, comforting drink for a chilly autumn day.
How To make Dominican Hot Chocolate Recipe?
- Preparation Time: 10 minutes
- Cooking Time: 15 minutes
- Total Time: 25 minutes
- Serving Size: 2-4 servings (adjust as needed)
For the Hot Chocolate:
- 2 cups whole milk
- 2 oz (about 4-5 squares) of dark chocolate, coarsely chopped
- 2 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar (adjust to taste)
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
For the Toppings (Optional):
- Whipped cream
- Mini marshmallows
- Cinnamon sticks or ground cinnamon
- Grated chocolate or chocolate shavings
Step by Step Directions:
1. Prepare the Ingredients:
Start by measuring out all your ingredients to have them ready for use. This will make the cooking process smoother.
2. Heat the Milk:
In a medium-sized saucepan, pour the whole milk and heat it over medium heat. Stir occasionally to prevent it from scorching. Heat until it’s hot but not boiling about 5-7 minutes.
3. Add the Dark Chocolate:
Once the milk is hot, reduce the heat to low and add the coarsely chopped dark chocolate to the saucepan. Stir continuously until the chocolate is completely melted and the mixture is smooth.
4. Incorporate Cocoa and Sugar:
Next, add the unsweetened cocoa powder and granulated sugar to the saucepan. Continue to stir vigorously to combine all the ingredients smoothly. Adjust the sugar to your desired level of sweetness.
5. Spice it Up:
Sprinkle in the ground cinnamon and nutmeg, then add the vanilla extract. Stir well to infuse the spices and aroma into your hot chocolate. Adjust the seasonings according to your taste preferences.
Let the hot chocolate simmer on low heat for 5-7 minutes, stirring occasionally. This will help the flavors meld together and create a velvety texture.
It will be served once the hot chocolate is heated and has a rich, creamy consistency. Spoon it into your favorite mugs or cups.
Add optional toppings like whipped cream, mini marshmallows, a sprinkle of ground cinnamon, grated chocolate, or a cinnamon stick for stirring to take your Dominican Hot Chocolate to the next level.
Serve your hot chocolate piping hot, and savor each sip. It’s perfect for warming up on a chilly day, as an indulgent dessert, or as a delightful treat anytime.
Nutrition Facts of Dominican Hot Chocolate Recipe
8 Amazing Serving Ideas for Dominican Hot Chocolate Recipe
1. Serve the hot chocolate recipe in a big cup at your next party.
2. You can make hot chocolate with milk or caramel milk, coffee, or butterscotch milk to make it unique.
3. Use almond milk instead of regular milk for a delicious tropical twist on the traditional hot chocolate recipe.
4. Serve this Dominican Hot Chocolate Recipe to your children before bedtime so they can warm up and have a good night’s sleep.
5. You can replace the chocolate powder with unsweetened cocoa powder for a healthier hot chocolate recipe.
6. You can also try out different types of toppings for this one, such as whipped cream or marshmallows.
7. You can add coconut to make this recipe more healthy and tasty and avoid the high saturated fat in regular cocoa powder.
8. Use different kinds of hot chocolates to make the hot chocolate recipe more outstanding.
This hot chocolate recipe can be equally delicious with low-fat milk, no added sugar, or regular milk and all the sugar you like. This increases its taste significantly, by giving it a creamy texture. Ensure you serve the hot chocolate recipe in a mug, not on a spoon.
If you prefer your hot chocolate on the sweeter side, then to make it sweeter, use more sugar in the recipe. Dominican Hot Chocolate Recipe is one of the most popular hot chocolate recipes in the Dominican Republic and Puerto Rico.