Ghirardelli Hot Chocolate Recipe is a classic rich, creamy drink full of flavor. This savory drink contains hints of chocolate, coffee, peppermint, and cinnamon. It’s full of protein, and the quality of cocoa makes this a healthy treat. I enjoy warming up in front of the fire; however, it can’t be heated in a microwave or conventional oven, so you’ll want to keep it on hand when you need it most.
We usually make this for guests who love cocoa or peppermint and could use the extra energy boost. Try out this hot chocolate recipe when it’s cold outside, and we need a warm drink. You can add more sugar if you like a sweeter, richer drink.
I was originally introduced to this beverage during my student days at the University of Minnesota when I lived in the dorms.
What is Ghirardelli?
Ghirardelli Chocolate Company is an American chocolate company founded in San Francisco, California, by a family of Italian immigrants.
In 1852 it started as a small grocery store on a small street called Market. The business has now been passed down to the fifth generation of the family in charge as of 2015. While Ghirardelli was selling only groceries, it ranked number 20 out of about 100 things sold.
After branching away from their grocery roots, they began making chocolates and candies. The company started making a wide array of products that contained chocolate, including chocolate drinks.
How to make Ghirardelli Hot Chocolate Recipe?
- Prepare Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 5 minutes
- Total Time: 15 minutes
- Serving Size: 1 cup
- 2 tbsp Ghirardelli dark cocoa powder
- ¼ tsp. Instant espresso powder (optional)
- 1 tbsp. Milk (I used Soy milk)
- 3 tbsp. Powdered sugar pinch of salt ¼ tsp.
- Grated nutmeg 1-2 teaspoons Instant coffee (optional, but I think it’s essential; it adds an excellent taste to the drink) 1/3 cup Water 2 oz.
- Semi-sweet chocolate chips 1 oz.
- Ghirardelli bittersweet chocolate (chopped or chips)
Add the water, espresso powder (if desired), cocoa powder, and salt in a medium saucepan—heat on low heat. Be careful not to burn it. Add nutmeg, chocolates (and coffee if using) to the mixture; stir until melted. Meanwhile, add a dash of milk to make 2 cups of liquid.
Bring the mixture to a boil and continue to stir until it stops boiling.
Pour into mugs or glasses. Dip the rim of the glass in sugar and serve warm with a sprinkling of salt and a drizzle of chocolate syrup if desired. Enjoy!
Serving Ideas for Ghirardelli Hot Chocolate Recipe
1. Dessert: Gently warm Ghirardelli Hot Chocolate in the microwave.
2. For Adults: Add 2 to 4 ounces of half-and-half and 2 to 4 ounces of rum, Creme de Cacao, or Kahlua for flavor.
3. For kids: Add two teaspoons of marshmallows.
4. For Brunch: Add a dollop of whipped cream and a sprinkle of cinnamon.
5. For Breakfast: Add a sweet and savory mix of granola, a dash of nutmeg, and Ghirardelli hot chocolate to your breakfast.
6. For Tea or Coffee: Add sugar, cream, and Ghirardelli Hot Chocolate to make a latte or cappuccino.
7. For an Afternoon Treat: Cool it down with ice-cold water (add triple sec, Kahlua, or Baileys) before drinking.
8. For Valentine’s Day: Add red food coloring for a romantic look and a bit of cinnamon.
9. For Christmas or the Holidays: Add peppermint extract and sprinkles or crushed candy cane on top of your Ghirardelli hot chocolate.
10. For the 4th of July: Add some blue food coloring and replace the nutmeg with cinnamon; sprinkle some blueberries on top for a festive look!
Nutrition Fact of Ghirardelli Hot Chocolate Recipe
|12% of recommended daily intake of calcium
|3% recommended daily intake of protein
Some healthy benefits of the Ghirardelli Hot Chocolate Recipe
1. It Is an excellent drink for people with diabetes because it has no added sugar. It also has the natural sugars from added chocolate and the milk used in this recipe.
2. It Is free from caffeine, making it great for nursing or pregnant mothers who want to enjoy a hot beverage but cannot have caffeine.
3. It Is low in fat, cholesterol, and calories. It also has some protein from the milk used [1 tbsp. Of water].
4. It Is a good source of dietary fiber that can help decrease harmful cholesterol levels within the body.
5. It is made with cocoa powder, which contains natural antioxidants like flavonols and improves blood flow by reducing blood clotting.
6. Has a high amount of calcium which helps to build strong bones. It also has a small amount of iron essential for red blood cells and carries oxygen from the lungs throughout the body.
7. It Doesn’t contain artificial sweeteners or unhealthy preservatives, colors, or flavors.
8. The Ghirardelli chocolate used in this recipe has no added sugar and is low-fat, which makes it a healthier choice than high-fat chocolate candies.
9. It Contains a small amount of copper, which is necessary for proper blood flow. It also has zinc, which can help to manage stress in the body.
10. It Contains vitamin D, which helps prevent/manage bone, losmakingake your body feel healthier for years to come.
Can you mix Ghirardelli hot cocoa mix with water
You can; however, mixing Ghirardelli chocolate with water is not recommended. Making a Ghirardelli hot chocolate mix takes about 5 minutes, and if you add a cup of water, you will have to wait at least 10 minutes because the mixed liquid needs time to cool down and thicken.
If you do not add the water, it will develop its own structure and texture from mixing once you stir it in the pan. So, adding a cup of water or milk will create a weaker texture and structure. It will not be as creamy or smooth once it cools down.
Is Ghirardelli hot chocolate good for hangovers?
Ghirardelli hot chocolate is good for hangovers because it is low in fat, high in fiber, contains no artificial sweeteners and preservatives, has low calories, and has a high amount of calcium which helps the body get rid of the dairy products that are in there.
Is Ghirardelli hot chocolate good for weight loss?
Ghirardelli cocoa is a better alternative to other chocolate products, such as regular milk chocolate, because it has lower calories but still gives you the same great taste. Calcium helps rebuild bone, preventing osteoporosis, and the small amount of copper in Ghirardelli chocolate helps your body process foods more efficiently.
Ghirardelli hot chocolate is the best choice for healthy cocoa. It is low in fat, has a high amount of calcium, and has many other beneficial nutrients. You can make your favorite Ghirardelli hot chocolate by just following these steps.
I hope that you found this article helpful. Please feel free to leave any comments or questions in the comment section below, and I will get back to you as soon as possible if you want more recipes, like me on Facebook and follow me on Twitter for new recipes and more tips like this. Thanks for reading!