Homemade Thick Hot Chocolate Recipe: Thick hot chocolate is one of these dishes that can be found in many households. It is up to you to make it the right way. Combine milk, cream, and cocoa powder in a saucepan and heat over medium-high until the mixture just comes to a boil. Turn the heat down to low and continue cooking for 5 minutes or until thickened. Stir in the cream and mix well. Pour into a stemmed mug.
What is Thick Hot Chocolate?
Thick hot chocolate is a classic drink handed down to us from the Spanish colonial days. It is a drink meant for chocolate lovers. It is made from milk, cream, and cocoa powder. The food that makes thick hot chocolate taste great and unique is the heating process of it because when it hits boiling water, the cocoa powder will turn bubbly and sweet, making the drink more delicious.
What is the History of Thick Hot Chocolate?
The Spaniards introduced this recipe of thick hot chocolate to Mexico in the sixteenth century. The first Spaniard to find cocoa beans on the islands of Trinidad and Tabasco was Hernan Cortez in 1519. It was only made available to the upper class. Still, its popularity broke into a wide range because it was served as a drink of honor during special occasions and festivities.
How to Homemade Thick Hot Chocolate Recipe?
- Prepare Time: 20 mins
- Cook Time: 5 mins
- Total Time: 25 mins
- Serving Size: 1 mug thick hot chocolate Recipe
- 1/2 cup nonfat sweetened cocoa powder
- 3/4 cup Whole milk
- 3/4 cup Half-and-half cream
- For the Chocolate Cream:
- 1 pinch of salt to taste
Combine all ingredients for the thick hot chocolate recipe in a saucepan and stir well. Bring to medium-high heat and bring it to a boil. Remove from heat and pour into a stemmed mason jar. Set aside.
Combine the ingredients for the chocolate cream in a small bowl and set aside.
Pour the thick hot chocolate into a stemmed mason jar and add the chocolate cream. Drink immediately or pour into pop molds for later use.
- Add a pinch of cinnamon powder to the chocolate cream for a different taste.
- Instead of using cocoa powder, you can also add chocolate chips to the hot chocolate recipe. The mixture will then be thicker and have more flavor than previously made thick hot chocolates.
- If you like chocolate, then add a few more chips to the mixture when you cook it.
- The recipe can be changed by adding less milk or cream and more cocoa powder.
- If there are not enough beans in your cocoa powder, add some cocoa powder to reach the desired thickness, flavor, and aroma of the drink.
Nutrition Facts of Thick Hot Chocolate Recipe
|Total Fat||5 grams (Saturated Fat 2 grams)|
|Carbohydrates||20g (Dietary Fiber less than 1 gram)|
Healthy benefits of Thick Hot Chocolate Recipe:
1. The hot chocolate recipe is a rich source of antioxidants and vitamins.
2. The combination of milk, cream, and cocoa powder is great for the body as it helps reduce side effects such as bloating and indigestion from too much sugar intake.
3. It helps in relieving fatigue and stress because of its sweet taste.
4. The drink is suitable for people with heart problems or diabetes as it has zero calories and low sugar content.
5. The drink is suitable for people with high blood pressure because it has sodium and low sugar content, which lowers systolic blood pressure.
6. The hot chocolate recipe contains milk which is good for the body as it is a natural source of calcium and other vitamins and minerals.
7. It contains half-and-half cream, a good source of protein and antioxidants.
8. It contains cocoa powder that can help in the production of insulin by the body hence helping in regulating sugar levels in the body.
Why is my hot chocolate not thick?
If the recipe of hot chocolate is not thick, it might be because the amount of cocoa powder used in this recipe is lower than what you should use. It might be because the milk and cream are mixed to a lesser extent than recommended. It might result from the cooking time being too short or the milk having milk proteins or fat that prevent thickening.
1. Add more cocoa powder to the recipe if you want your hot chocolate to be thick.
2. If your cocoa powder has been stored in an air-tight container and it is still not thick, then you must look for another brand of cocoa powder, as this might be why.
3. If you can find a brand with less milk fat or protein in it, then use it to make this recipe thicker and get a better flavoring taste from the thick hot chocolate recipe.
4. If you cannot get a thick hot chocolate recipe and are stuck on how to make it thicker, try adding a touch of corn syrup or ice cream powder to the mix.
5. If your drink does not have a nice flavor or aroma, use unsweetened cocoa powder to make the recipe thicker and
6. An easier way to get a thick hot chocolate recipe is by using a coffee machine. The brewer will allow you to make drinks up to 1 liter in volume.
7. If you want your cocoa powder to be thicker and sweeter, then add extra tablespoons of cocoa powder to the mix.
8. If you are making a chocolate hot chocolate recipe for children, use half-and-half cream instead of the whole cream due to its lower fat content and because it is easier for children to drink than whole cream milk.
The hot chocolate recipe is a drink that can be made at home. It is relatively easy to cook as well as perfect for serving guests. It is also perfect for people with diabetes or heart problems to prevent blood sugar levels from rising too high. However, the sugar in this recipe should be changed according to individual preferences and health conditions.
I hope you enjoy this homemade thick hot chocolate recipe and like it enough to make it again.
If you have tried this recipe, rate it and leave a comment below to let me know what you think of my thick hot chocolate recipe. Please share this recipe with your friends and family on social media networks such as Facebook and Twitter. Also, consider liking me on the Facebook page. Thank You for reading this recipe. I hope you find it helpful.