Ina Garten Chocolate Cake is a classic cake recipe which is a chocolate cake that has a layer of chocolate frosting on top.
The cake has cocoa powder, eggs, sugar, flour, and salt. Add enough liquid to thin the mixture and mix it in by hand or use an electric mixer with a paddle attachment. It can be baked in two round pans or one large baking sheet for 2-3 hours at 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
However, if you need it quicker than that temperature, you can bake it at 375 degrees Fahrenheit for 45 minutes.
The blog post will teach you how to bake Ina Garten Chocolate Cake. This recipe has step-by-step instructions on how to make a popular cake, learn the secret to making the perfect cake every time, and how to bake it.
What is Ina Garten Chocolate Cake?
I think you will enjoy reading about this cake. This recipe is for a chocolate cake with a layer of chocolate frosting. The cake has cocoa powder, eggs, sugar, flour, and salt.
Add enough liquid to thin the mixture and mix it in by hand or use an electric mixer with a paddle attachment. It can be baked in two round pans or one large baking sheet for 2-3 hours at 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
How to make Ina Garten Chocolate Cake?
- Preparation Time: 45 minutes
- Cooking Time: 45 minutes
- Total Time: 90 minutes
- Serving Size: 8 servings (makes 1 sheet)
- 1½ cups plus 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, cubed and room temperature, divided
- 2 ounces (1/2 cup) dark chocolate, chopped finely
- 4 ounces (1/4 cup) unsweetened cocoa powder, preferably Dutch-processed or natural unsweetened Dutch-processed cocoa powder
- 3¼ cups all-purpose flour (not self-rising), sifted before measuring
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1¾ cups sugar
- 4 large eggs at room temperature, beaten to blend well
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 recipe Chocolate Frosting
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C) and grease two 8-inch round metal or nonstick baking pans or one 9×13-inch metal baking pan with butter.
Mix the butter and cocoa in a medium bowl until the cocoa is nearly melted. Set aside.
Combine the flour, baking soda, and baking powder in a large bowl. Set aside.
Combine the sugar and eggs in a large bowl and blend well with a rotary beater or an electric stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment at medium-low speed.
Gradually add the butter mixture to the mixture and blend well. Add the vanilla extract and mix until all ingredients are evenly combined. Pour into the prepared baking pans.
Bake for 30 minutes in the center rack of the oven until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean and lightly browned.
Remove from the oven and immediately remove pans (otherwise, they will stick to the hot sides). Cool completely on a wire rack before frosting. If you are not serving right away, cool completely, then wrap well in plastic wrap and freeze for up to 3 months.
Remove the cake from the freezer and let it stand at room temperature for 10 to 20 minutes before frosting.
Heat the heavy cream in a small saucepan over medium-low heat until simmering to create a ganache. Remove from the heat and add in the chocolate chips. Stir constantly until melted and smooth.
Set aside to cool slightly, then drain through a fine mesh strainer into a bowl and discard the solids. Pour over the cake, spreading evenly and covering all but the very top edge. Top with a slice of lemon if desired for an added zing. Serve immediately.
Serving ideas for ina garten chocolate cake
- Serve the cake within a day or two after you make it. If you wrap it well and freeze it, you can serve it within 3 months.
- You can serve the cake with fresh whipped cream. You can also garnish the cake with fresh fruit like strawberries, sliced bananas, blueberries, blackberries, raspberries, or even edible flowers like rose petals or pansies.
- You can also serve this cake on your Wedding Anniversary and other special occasions.
These are some quick and delicious Ina Garten Chocolate Cake ideas.
Special tips and tricks for ina garten chocolate cake:
- Use good quality cocoa powder to get the best result.
- For a more accessible way to prepare the cake, add the sifted flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, and baking powder in a bowl. Mix it well and then add sugar, eggs, and vanilla extract (add this last so your cake will not have lumps). Mix it well. Set aside the batter for 15 minutes, and then you may use an electric mixer to blend it for about 3 minutes.
- You can make a chocolate frosting using the same recipe as in this cake, but instead of using butter, use 1 cup plus two tablespoons unsalted butter, cut it into cubes, and measure it in the bowl with a stick blender. Blend until the butter is thoroughly mixed in smoothly with your other ingredients. Then add half a cup of heavy cream to the batter and mix well until smooth.
Nutrition facts about ina garten chocolate cake
Healthy benefits of ina garten chocolate cake
- Chocolate is one of the healthiest ingredients to be added to your diet. It is also a good source of iron and magnesium, vital for health. It contains protein, which will keep you going for a long time. It contains vitamins C, B, and E. Chocolate will also improve your mood and help you cope with stress, and provide energy
- The sugar in the cake has no more than 27g per serving (1 cup), so it will not affect your sugar level quickly once it is digested.
- This cake is not a sweet dessert. It is a perfect cake for breakfast, lunch, or dinner. It also tastes excellent, topped with fresh whipped cream and a slice of lemon.
- This will be the perfect cake to bake for any upcoming parties and events that you have planned. Use it as a dessert, or sandwich it with your favorite fruit or dip.
Chocolate cake is a classic cake that is loved by many. It is simple to make and tastes great. Baking it home will save you money, especially if you start your new life as a bride or after retirement.
Ina Garten’s chocolate cake is a recipe that can be made with only four ingredients: butter, dark chocolate, unsweetened cocoa powder, and sugar. The steps in making the cake are simple and easy to follow.
I hope you will try this recipe out and let me know what you think. You can add fresh fruit or berries to this cake if you like.
Which flour is used in ina garten chocolate cake?
The flour should be of a medium/dark flour type. Use cake flour or all-purpose flour, whichever you prefer.
How do you freeze Ina Garten’s Chocolate Cake?
Wrap the cake generously with plastic wrap, place it inside a ziplock bag, and then put it in the freezer. Follow the same steps for frozen yogurt. It is best to refrigerate them after freezing.
How long does ina garten’s chocolate cake last?
Chocolate cake can be eaten on the day that it is prepared. If you have frozen them well, it will keep them in the freezer for about 3 months.
How much does ina garten’s chocolate cake weigh?
1 cup of Ina Garten chocolate cake has approx 184 g depending upon how moist you like your cakes.
What is the nutritional information for ina garten’s chocolate cake?
The calories from the cake are 256 cal. It has Carbohydrates: 32g of. The calorie count of this recipe is relatively low compared to those other recipes you might have seen. Its percentage of nutrients is not high as well. For instance, it contains only 10% of calories from fat and 3%, significantly less than a turkey sandwich, which includes some calories but only slightly more than a slice of bread you can get at any bakery.