Italian Hot Chocolate Recipe is a winter favorite for many. Usually, these hot cocoa mixes are made with espresso and cocoa powder. This is one of my favorite recipes on a cold Monday morning!
What is Italian Hot Chocolate?
Italian Hot Chocolate consists of espresso and chocolate. But, instead of the usual cocoa powder, we use chocolate syrup. While it may not be as rich in taste or pure as the original Italian hot chocolate, I like this version better because it is much easier to prepare than the traditional version.
How to make an Italian Hot Chocolate Recipe?
- prepare time: 5 min
- prep time: 5 min
- Total: 10 min
- Serves: 2
- 1 tablespoon unsweetened chocolate powder
- 1 tablespoon cocoa powder
- 6 tablespoons hot water (boiling)
- 3/4 cup milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
Bring 6 to 8 cups of water to a boil for the chocolate powder. Boil for about 5 minutes. You may use the microwave or stove top method. I used the microwave because I had already boiled water for my coffee.
Mix the chocolate and cocoa powder in a small bowl until it is a fine powder. Heat this mixture in the microwave until it warms (about 20 seconds).
Add the hot water to the chocolate powder. Stir well to make a smooth paste. You may add some sugar if you want it to taste sweeter. I did not add any sugar because I was trying to replicate the original version of this coffee drink from Italy.
Add the vanilla extract and stir well until it is mixed with the chocolate mixture.
Add about 3/4 cup of milk and stir well until it is mixed with all the ingredients.
Pour it into your favorite mug and enjoy!
Nutrition Facts of Italian Hot Chocolate Recipe:
|Total Fat||4.3 g|
|Saturated Fat||2.5 g|
|Polyunsaturated Fat||0.4 g|
|Monounsaturated Fat||0.8 g|
|Total Carbohydrate||10.4 g|
|Dietary Fiber||0.2 g|
|Vitamin A||0 %|
|Vitamin C||1 %|
Serving ideas for Italian Hot Chocolate Recipe:
1. If you want to make it a little sweeter, you may add some sugar to taste.
2. If you have vanilla ice cream and chocolate sauce on hand, you can make a few hot cocoa drinks by adding one scoop of the vanilla ice cream into your mug and pouring in the hot chocolate mixed with some chocolate sauce.
3. If you like eating a traditional Italian hot chocolate drink, spread some Nutella or Nutella cream on top of your mug and pour in the hot chocolate. Enjoy!
4. If you want to give this Italian Hot Chocolate Recipe as a gift, wrap it up in a snack-size chocolate box and tie a tag on it with your message written on the card.
5. This can be a great way to use leftover chocolate chips or Reese’s pieces. Place the chocolate chips in your mug and pour in the hot chocolate mixture, stir well and enjoy!
6. If you are not a fan of warm drinks, you may cool them down for several minutes before drinking by putting them in the fridge. Once the hot chocolate is firmed up, you may drink it without further cooling.
7. You may also use ice to cool down your hot chocolate drink if you want it cold to suck on.
8. You may also try Marco Polo’s Spicy Aztec Cocoa recipe and make your version of a spicy Mexican hot chocolate!
9. If you do not like the taste of the plain-tasting Italian hot chocolate, you may try adding some cinnamon powder, vanilla extract, or mint syrup to make it more flavorful and tasty!
10. You may also change the milk for the coffee or any other brand to taste. You may use different flavors of chocolate syrup, such as regular chocolate syrup or even liqueur, to make it more flavorful.
What is Italian hot chocolate made from?
Italian hot chocolate is made from espresso mixed with cocoa powder and chocolate syrup. You may use chocolate syrup instead of cocoa powder in some recipes to make it easier to prepare. This chocolate drink is not very rich in taste, but it offers many people a great way to warm up during winter. It is also commonly served as dessert after a meal, especially on Christmas Eve.
What is the origin of Italian hot chocolate?
The origin of this drink is Italy. Italians are big fans of espresso and love to use it to make their drinks. Nowadays, hot chocolate recipes have evolved into something more modern and less intense than the original version.
What is the most popular chocolate in Italy?
In Italy, the most popular chocolate is Marsala. However, Amaretto is a close second. Amaretto offers a unique combination of flavors that are made from sugar and almond juice.
Is there a history behind Italian hot chocolate?
Yes, this drink has a history and goes back to the Middle Ages. Before the 16th century, cocoa was not available in Europe. It was only consumed by royalty in the 1300s.
The Italian Hot Chocolate Recipe is a great place to start your morning. You can enjoy it hot or cold, or even with a glass of milk. The best part is that you can make a variety of flavors by combining different flavors of syrup. Enjoy!
I hope That You Enjoyed reading this post!