The cozy embrace of a warm mug cradled between your hands, the rich aroma of cocoa wafting through the air, and that first heavenly sip that warms you from the inside out –something undeniably magical about a steaming cup of hot chocolate. For many of us, it’s a cherished childhood memory that brings comfort and joy, even on the chilliest days.
But what if I told you that you can enjoy this comforting classic without the guilt and the sugar rush? Say hello to our Keto Hot Chocolate recipe! Whether you’re a seasoned keto enthusiast or simply looking for a healthier way to satisfy your sweet tooth, this recipe will become your new best friend.
In this blog post, we’ll dive into keto-friendly hot chocolate, exploring how simple ingredients and smart substitutions can transform a sugary indulgence into a guilt-free treat that’s just as delicious, if not more so.
Easy make Keto Hot Chocolate Recipe
- Preparation Time: 5 minutes
- Cooking Time: 5 minutes
- Total Time: 10 minutes
- Serving Size: 2 servings
For the Hot Chocolate:
- 2 cups unsweetened almond milk (or any keto-friendly milk of your choice)
- 2 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
- 2 tablespoons powdered erythritol or stevia (adjust to taste)
- 2 ounces (about 55-60g) dark chocolate (at least 85% cocoa), chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- A pinch of salt
For Toppings (Optional):
- Whipped cream (unsweetened)
- Dark chocolate shavings
- Crushed nuts (almonds or pecans work well)
1. Gather Your Ingredients: Ensure you have all your ingredients ready before starting. This will help you prepare your keto hot chocolate quickly and efficiently.
2. Heat the Milk: Warm the unsweetened almond milk in a saucepan over medium heat. Be sure not to bring it to a boil; you want it hot enough to melt the chocolate and cocoa powder.
3. Add Cocoa Powder and Sweetener: Once the almond milk is hot, whisk in the unsweetened cocoa powder and powdered erythritol or stevia. Keep whisking until they are fully combined, and the mixture is smooth.
4. Add Chopped Dark Chocolate: Drop in the chopped dark chocolate and continue to whisk. This will give your keto hot chocolate a rich and velvety texture.
5. Season with Vanilla and Salt: Stir in the vanilla extract and a pinch of salt. The vanilla enhances the chocolate flavor, and the salt balances the sweetness.
6. Simmer and Mix: Reduce the heat to low and let your hot chocolate mixture simmer for 2-3 minutes. Keep stirring to ensure everything is well combined and the chocolate completely melts.
7. Taste and Adjust: Taste your keto hot chocolate and adjust the sweetness by adding more sweeteners if needed. Remember that sweetness preferences can vary, so make it just how you like it.
8. Serve Hot: Pour your hot chocolate into mugs or cups. If you’re feeling fancy, top it with a dollop of unsweetened whipped cream, a sprinkle of dark chocolate shavings, or some crushed nuts.
9. Enjoy! Sip your keto hot chocolate slowly and savor the rich, creamy goodness without worrying about the carb content. It’s the perfect beverage to warm up with on a cold day or enjoy as a delightful dessert.
- You can make this cocoa with coconut, almond, and heavy whipping cream to get a creamier texture. Remember that hot chocolate is best served with miniature marshmallows and fresh whipped cream.
- If you are following the keto diet for weight loss, you should know that cocoa powder has carbs. It’s essential to find unsweetened cocoa powder so your drink will be lower in carbs than if you used other powdered chocolate.
Nutrition facts of Keto Hot Chocolate Recipe:
7 health benefits of Keto Hot Chocolate Recipe:
1. rich in fiber:
Whole milk is an excellent source of healthy dietary fiber. It contains about 0.9 grams per cup and can help reduce constipation and diarrhea. It also helps to maintain a healthy weight and prevent heart disease, diabetes, and metabolic syndrome.
2. rich in calcium:
A serving of cocoa powder contains 88 milligrams of calcium, and a full cup of milk contains 306 mg, so the hot cocoa drink is an excellent source of bone-building nutrients. Calcium is crucial for the health of your teeth and bones. It can also prevent muscle cramps, spasms, and PMS symptoms.
3. suitable for your Heart:
A study published in the journal Heart found that a moderate intake of dark chocolate may reduce the risk of coronary heart disease by improving blood pressure, cholesterol levels, endothelial function, and insulin resistance.
4. suitable for your brain:
Cocoa powder is a source of flavanols, which are plant-based antioxidants, and they have been shown to increase blood flow and improve cognitive function.
5. helps prevent cancer:
Eating foods rich in flavonoids helps reduce the risk of cancer. Cocoa powder is an excellent flavonoid source and contains some potent antioxidants.
6. suitable for women:
The fat in cocoa powder is high in stearic acid, a type of saturated fat that can help you to lose weight. It’s also a source of oleic acids and monounsaturated fats that can lower bad cholesterol. Studies have also shown that cocoa may help reduce the risk of ovarian and endometrial cancer.
7. lower risk of diabetes:
Foods that are high in fiber can help lower your blood sugar levels and reduce the risk of diabetes. Whole milk is an excellent source of dietary fiber, so the cocoa drink is a great option if you want to lower your risk of diabetes.
Can I have powdered milk on keto?
You can have unsweetened cocoa powder and powdered whole milk on keto. It’s essential to look at the ingredients list and ensure that there is no added sugar in the cocoa powder or powdered milk. It’s also a good idea to check the carb content of your cocoa drink to ensure it’s low enough in carbs for your diet plan.
Why is almond milk not keto?
Almond milk contains a small number of carbohydrates and is also low in protein. It’s not a good choice for the keto diet because it has a lot of sugar and carbohydrates. It also contains fats that are not healthy in large amounts.
Coconut milk is better than almond milk since it has more protein and fewer carbs, but if you want to stay low-carb, you should drink unsweetened cocoa powder instead of coconut milk.
Keto Hot Chocolate Recipe is an easy-to-make drink that can be enjoyed during the cold winter. This delicious beverage can also be made with heavy cream, coconut milk, and unsweetened cocoa powder. This low-carb, keto hot chocolate recipe can also be used for weight loss by eliminating added sugar and opting for unsweetened cocoa powder.
If you are looking for a hot chocolate recipe that’s creamy, tasty, and low-carb, look no further than Keto Hot Chocolate Recipe from Practical Paleo.