Magnolia Bakery Chocolate Cake Recipe is a favorite at Magnolia Bakery in San Francisco and online. The chocolate cake is moist, and the frosting has the perfect balance of sweetness, creaminess, and richness. This is a recipe that will wow any chocolate lover!
This article explains how to make this classic cake from scratch with step-by-step instructions.
How To Make Magnolia Bakery Chocolate Cake Recipe?
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 30 minutes
- Difficulty: Medium
- Convection/Sous Vide: Yes
- Services Size: 8-10 slices
Note: The ingredients list may vary depending on the ingredients you choose.
- 1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, softened (1/2 pound, 16 ounces)
- 6 ounces unsweetened chocolate, finely chopped (1/2 cup, 4 ounces)
- 6 large eggs (6 large egg whites in this instance)
- 7 cups minus two tablespoons of all-purpose flour (15 ounces)
- Turbinado sugar, for dusting the pan
- See this article to learn how to make almond flour.
- This cake freezes well, so if you want to make it ahead (or if your guests are expecting it), make the cake and frost it one day earlier or freeze it after making it.
- For best results, slice this magnolia bakery chocolate cake while still frozen. If you cut the slices while they are still warm, you will get a bit of gooey goodness out of each piece.
- If you want to make the whole recipe, you will need.
- 12 regular cupcakes (or one 9x13x2 inch cake)
To make the Magnolia Bakery Chocolate Cake Recipe, begin by preheating the oven to 350 degrees F. Grease an 8-inch-square baking pan and line the bottom with parchment paper, leaving a 2-inch overhang so you can use it to lift the cake later.
In a large bowl, using a wooden spoon, mix the sugar and the unsweetened chocolate until no lumps of sugar remain. Add the hot water and stir to combine.
Add the flour, baking powder, soda, and salt to a medium bowl and whisk to combine.
Add 1/3 of the dry ingredients to the melted chocolate mixture and mix it until just combined. Add the second 1/3 of the dry ingredients and mix until just combined. Add the egg yolks, vanilla, and the remaining dry ingredients until incorporated.
Pour the batter into the prepared baking pan and bake for 25 to 30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Set aside to cool.
When the cake is thoroughly cooled, run a knife around the edges and invert it onto a cutting board. Flip it over again so that it is right-side up. Remove the parchment paper, then flip the cake back onto its bottom (square) side.
While the cake is cooling, you can make the frosting for this chocolate recipe. Beat together all of the frosting ingredients until well combined.
To assemble, place one cake layer on a serving plate (mine was 8-inches square). Spread a generous 1/3 of the frosting evenly across the top. Place the second cake layer on top and spread another 1/3 of the frosting evenly across the top. Spread any remaining frosting in a crisscrossed pattern over the sides decoratively.
Place in refrigerator for at least 6hrs to overnight to set up.
To serve, remove from the refrigerator and remove the cake from the pan. It may still be a little soft; that’s okay. Invert onto a serving plate and remove the parchment paper.
Nutrition Fact Of Magnolia Bakery Chocolate Cake Recipe:
Serving Size: 1 slice (1 1/2-inch-tall)
Healthy Benefits of Magnolia Bakery Chocolate Cake Recipe:
1. Chocolate lovers rejoice! This cake has a deep chocolate flavor that will have you drooling.
2. The frosting is made from sweetened condensed milk and butter.
3. It’s low in carbohydrates and saturated fat.
4. It is mildly high in protein, providing essential amino acids to our bodies quickly and easily.
5. This cake has no flour, only a buttery and rich chocolate flavor!
6. It is quick and easy to make.
7. Perfect for Thanksgiving or other special occasions!
8. This is an excellent recipe for chocolate cake lovers. It is easy to make yet fancy enough for any occasion.
9. Perfect for chocolate lovers! The salted frosting is delicious on this light and moist chocolate cake.
10. It is straightforward to make- even with sous vide machine!
Recipe Tips for Magnolia Bakery Chocolate Cake Recipe
1. When making this Magnolia Bakery recipe, you may be tempted to add a touch of salt to the batter mixing process, frosting layer, or both, but please don’t!
2. You can add some orange zest (or fruit extract) to the batter or frosting for extra depth of flavor.
3. Some extra finely ground espresso or coffee beans add an exciting flavor to this chocolate cake.
4. When making this chocolate cake, you should use the freshest eggs possible, preferably organic, and be fed a vegetarian diet (like Magnolia Bakery).
5. Organic powdered sugar is best- and if you can find it- Wholesome brand! Powdered Sugar is even better. It is quickly becoming the powdered sugar of choice for kitchens from coast to coast because of its superior flavor.
6. For a crumb topping, you can use all-purpose or whole wheat flour.
7. For the frosting: Don’t let the fact that it has to sit for 6 hours in the refrigerator put you off from making this cake- if it is going to be used right away, then have it!
8. When replacing the parchment paper baking liners with a new one after inversion, press down on both sides to have a flat surface between each layer of cake.
9. If you overbake this cake, it could crumble when you remove it from the pan, so watch your oven temperature closely.
10. You can experiment with frosting flavors by adding some orange zest (or a fruit extract) to the frosting for extra taste and depth of flavor.
Is it safe for kits?
Yes, this is safe for your kits. The chocolate cake recipe won’t be set up from cooking it in a bag as much as it will from the sous vide machine!
How long can it be kept Refrigerated?
It can be kept in the refrigerator for up to 1 week.
How long can it be frozen?
It can be frozen for up to 2 months.
How much does Magnolia Bakery Chocolate Cake Recipe cost?
Costs about $4.99 per slice at Magnolia Bakery in San Francisco.
Magnolia Bakery Chocolate Cake Recipe is a dense, moist, chocolatey cake baked with butter and sweetened condensed milk. The frosting is rich, creamy, and has a sweetened, reduced milk base.
Follow Magnolia Bakery on their Facebook Page and follow them on Instagram, Twitter, Pinterest, and YouTube.