Rice Cake Chocolate Recipe is a quick and easy recipe that is a delight to make and eat. The honey-glazed rice cakes’ natural sweetness combines with the chocolate’s richness and makes for a delectable treat.
This recipe yields about eight rice cake balls which can be frozen for up to 3 months, making it an excellent dessert for those who follow dietary restrictions.
What is Rice Cake Chocolate?
The term “rice cake” generally refers to a traditional Chinese thick-based (glutinous) bread. It is made of milled rice flour, water, and sometimes egg yolk, salt, and other ingredients. In the United States and Canada, it is commonly caused by hand – either by making flour from whole grain rice or in a food processor. However, in recent years, this has become a type of Westernized Chinese cuisine that has been franchised or popularized worldwide.
Rice cake originates from the port city of Guangzhou, the capital of Guangdong province in southern China. It is a traditional Chinese sweet snack made of glutinous rice flour and has a chewier texture than other types of bread. The name “cake” comes from its resemblance to a round loaf cake, which is made in precisely the same way but with ingredients added after kneading and shaping. In Cantonese homes, it is usually flavored with sugar or syrup (see below).
How to make Rice Cake Chocolate Recipe?
Wash the rice cake thoroughly with lukewarm water and drain the water. Place rice cake in a bowl and add enough water to cover it. Set aside for 30 minutes to soften the rice cake. Drain the water.
- prepare time: 30 minutes
- Resting time: 30 minutes
- Cooking time: 20 minutes
- 1/3 cup dark chocolate chips
- 4 tablespoons honey
- 2 teaspoons water
- 1 1/2 cup cake flour (tapas)
- 2 egg yolks, slightly beaten
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1/3 cup cold water (Or enough water to cover the rice cake)
- 2 tablespoons potato starch (optional)
- 1 1/2 to 2 cups of vegetable oil (enough to cover the rice cake)
- 1 tablespoon sesame oil
- 3 tablespoons water for glazing
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ cup sugar syrup
- 1 tablespoon malt syrup (or clear honey, optional)
- 1 egg yolk, slightly beaten
- Some sesame seeds and chopped nuts for garnishing (optional)
Place chocolate chips in a bowl and melt them in the microwave oven for about 30 to 1 minute.
Add honey and water and stir until the chocolate is melted and the ingredients are well combined.
Set aside to cool down completely and thicken a bit into a smooth, glaze-like consistency.
Prepare the coating solution by mixing water with potato starch (optional). You can use cornstarch instead if you don’t have any starch.
In a bowl, add flour and salt. Mix well. Then add the water-cornstarch mixture and stir until all the flour is coated.
Remove rice cakes from the rice bran cups; cut them into quarter pieces, remove the thick center skin, and put them in a sieve or colander to drain well.
Add 2 tablespoons of potato starch or cornstarch, then add water gradually until you have a thick, smooth paste.
Beat egg yolks and add them to the mixture along with the baking powder. Stir well to mix them. (The paste will be very thick.)
Heat vegetable oil in an iron wok to 350 degrees. Put the rice cakes in a large bowl and add the coating paste.
Turn cakes over and cover with sesame oil. Cook for about 5 minutes or until golden brown, turning as needed to fry them evenly.
Remove from the oil, drain excess fat from the bowl, and let cool completely before adding sugar and malt syrup (optional). Roll each rice cake into a ball by hand to form a sphere shape.
Add sesame seeds and chopped nuts to garnish. (You can also add raisins, walnuts, almonds, and coconut shreds) Cover with melted chocolate, then roll the rice cakes in the chocolate.
Let them cool completely before eating them! Serve with a cup of tea or coffee! Store any leftover cake balls in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 5 days!
Nutrition Fact of Rice Cake Chocolate Recipe:
Serving ideas for Rice Cake Chocolate Recipe:
1. It makes an excellent dessert as you can serve this dessert with a cup of tea or coffee.
2. You can also use it as party food to serve your guests.
3. It can be used in the Rice Cake Chocolate Cakes at the bakery. Still, you will make the recipe healthier by using cake flour instead of all-purpose flour and make it preservative-free by using honey or maple syrup instead of sugar syrup (which has preservatives).
4. You can also use the Cake flour for cooking and baking other desserts.
5. If you wish to present your guests with a homemade cake, you can store any leftover rice cake in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 5 days or freeze it for up to 3 months as a dessert!
6. If you want to make this dessert with a more authentic look, you can make the coating by mixing flour and regular sugar.
7. If you are making a cake for your child, you can use Cake flour and other healthy ingredients like flax or sunflower seeds. You can also try adding dried fruit or chocolate chips to their rice cakes!
8. This recipe does not involve chocolate chips, but the goal is to keep it simple when making rice cakes!
What do chocolate rice cakes taste like?
Rice cakes have a chewy texture; when you bite them, the rice cake is moist and slightly chocolaty. On top of this, the cake also has a slightly sweet taste that makes it irresistible.
What is Cake flour?
Like all types of traditional Chinese pastry (including Chinese steamed buns), rice cakes are made using cake flour (tapas). Many flour brands are available in Chinese supermarkets to satisfy your baking needs. Its main ingredient is tapioca starch. It is a fine flour that is highly absorbent and helps to hydrate other ingredients. It makes the breading batter soft and fluffy, resulting in the rice cakes’ smooth texture when cooked. The buttery taste of this flour also makes the cake more delicious.
Are chocolate rice cakes healthy?
If you compare chocolate rice cakes with regular cakes, the chocolate ones are slightly healthier as they contain less sugar and fat. At the same time, they also have a higher vitamin B12 content. If you use this Chinese rice cake recipe to prepare your desserts, you can enjoy the rice cake’s taste and texture without guilt!
Tips and Tricks:
- Using honey or maple syrup in addition to sugar syrup makes the coating quick and easy and eliminates the need for artificial preservatives/sweeteners.
- Chocolate chips are essential to this recipe as they allow you to prepare your chocolate coating.
- The cake recipe is relatively easy; you can substitute cake flour for all-purpose flour.
- If you have questions about this recipe, feel free to ask in the comment section below!
If you want to enjoy a delicious homemade cake that is low in fat, you can make this healthy chocolate rice cake recipe. You can make the cake without any additional oil or butter required. You will also find this recipe very easy to prepare!