Rich Hot Chocolate Recipe is a filling, hearty, and comforting drink that is perfect for cold weather and winter. This recipe includes organic Mexican chocolate, which has a higher cocoa content (55%) than typical dark chocolate (35%).
This sweet confection’s unique flavor results from blending cocoa beans from the Mayan region to give it a rich earthy taste. However, it’s mixed with just enough sweetness to make it friendly for day or night.
What is Rich Hot Chocolate?
This is a rich hot chocolate made with dark Mexican chocolate, cinnamon, and warming spice which will warm you up during the cold months. It’s sweetened with honey and topped with crunchy pecans.
This drink is best enjoyed in the winter when it is cold outside like it is today. I was walking from the school to my car, about a mile away, when the wind picked up, and it started to snow. My ears, fingers, and toes were freezing, but one sip of this hot chocolate and I knew that everything would be all right.
This is a lovely drink which makes it perfect for cold winter nights. It was so good that I started thinking of the snow coming down outside. My mind raced back to a memory of my younger mother making us warm chocolates on those snowy days when we had to stay inside.
How to make Rich Hot Chocolate Recipe?
- Prepare time: 30 mins.
- Cook time: 5 mins.
- Total time: 35 mins.
- Serving Size: 4
- 1/2 cup dark brown sugar
- 1/2 cup honey
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1 1/2 ounces (1 large) chocolate, broken up
- 1-ounce cinnamon candied pecans, chopped finely
In a medium saucepan, add the brown sugar and honey. Heat over medium heat until the sugar dissolves, stirring at regular intervals. Add in the butter and let it melt.
Turn the heat to low and add the chocolate, occasionally stirring until everything melts together.
Turn heat to medium and slowly stir in the hot cocoa mixture until it is frothy, about 3 minutes. Stir in the cinnamon-candied pecans.
Stir in 2 cups of boiling water and allow the drink to simmer for another 5 minutes on low heat. Transfer the hot chocolate into mugs, and top with whipped cream and more pecans.
- This recipe can be made ahead of time, but don’t add the pecans until 5 minutes before you serve it. Please place it in a glass jar and store it in the fridge to keep it fresh for up to 7 days.
- This drink can be frozen until you want to enjoy it if you don’t want to wait for it to get cold enough outside.
- This recipe is great to take on the go, but reheat it in the microwave for about 30 seconds.
- I hope you enjoyed my post about Rich Hot Chocolate Recipe. Please, leave your valuable comments and feedback below.
Nutrition For Rich Hot Chocolate Recipe
Serving Ideas for Rich Hot Chocolate Recipe
- Serve this recipe with a couple of spoonfuls of whipped cream.
- Add an assortment of your favorite diced fruit for a sweet treat!
- Serve this drink as a part of a hot chocolate party with family and friends!
- Serve this drink to guests during their next holiday gathering!
- Enjoy in the morning on weekends to warm yourself up on cold winter days !!! Add more fresh fruit and fruit toppings to add more flavor to this decadent hot chocolate!
- Add more pecans on top of the hot drink to add more flavor and crunchiness to this drink!
Is it Healthy?
Yes, Rich Hot Chocolate Recipe is a healthy drink that is very tasty and rich in flavor.
Is it Good for Kids?
Yes, this is a kid-friendly drink, which will make them happy on cold winter days.
Is it Nutritious?
Yes, this recipe is nutritious as well. It has only calories and is also low in fat. Also, it is filled with lots of minerals like calcium, iron, zinc, and vitamin A.
What is the Difference Between Dark and Milk Chocolates?
Dark chocolate has a higher cocoa content than milk chocolate. Dark chocolate has about 55% cocoa in it. This more elevated amount of cocoa helps make this drink taste like a hot chocolate you would find in Mexico.
Do I have to use Mexican Chocolate?
No, you don’t have to use Mexican dark chocolate for this recipe, but I highly recommend it as it will give your drink a rich flavor not found in other chocolates.
This great recipe has just the right amount of sweetness for your taste buds! The cinnamon-candied pecans give this drink a crunch you would love if you were one to enjoy eating pecans.
I hope you enjoyed this Rich Hot Chocolate Recipe and will try it at home soon! If you do, please let me know how it turned out by leaving a comment below.