Nothing beats a mug of rich, chocolatey hot chocolate on a cold winter day. The problem is that traditional hot chocolate recipes often contain calories, fat, and sugar. That’s why I’ve developed this delicious yet diet-friendly Weight Watchers hot chocolate recipe.
This skinny hot chocolate is incredibly easy to make, contains just a few simple ingredients, and clocks in at only 2 Weight Watchers SmartPoints. It’s the perfect way to indulge your chocolate cravings without derailing your weight loss efforts.
The secret is using low-fat milk and just a touch of semi-sweet chocolate chips to provide richness and chocolate flavor. A bit of vanilla extract enhances the chocolate taste even more.
I like to top this WW hot chocolate with lightly whipped cream or a sprinkle of cinnamon for extra decadence. Sip this as an afternoon treat, or enjoy it for a chocolatey, satisfying dessert after dinner.
Either way, this skinny hot chocolate will warm you up on chilly days and quench chocolate cravings in a waistline-friendly way. Keep reading for the full Weight Watchers hot chocolate recipe and nutrition information!
How to make Weight Watchers Hot Chocolate Recipe?
- Preparation Time: 5 minutes
- Cooking Time: 5 minutes
- Total Time: 10 minutes
- Serving Size: 2 cups
For the Hot Chocolate:
- 2 cups unsweetened almond milk (or your preferred milk)
- 2 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
- 2 tablespoons powdered sugar substitute (e.g., Stevia or monk fruit)
- 1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- A pinch of salt
For Toppings (Optional):
- Lightly whipped cream (sugar-free)
- Mini marshmallows (sugar-free)
- A dusting of cocoa powder
1. Gather Your Ingredients: Ensure you have all the ingredients ready before starting. This Weight Watchers hot chocolate recipe keeps it low in SmartPoints while delivering a rich, satisfying taste.
2. Mix Cocoa Powder and Sugar Substitute: Combine the unsweetened cocoa powder and your chosen powdered sugar substitute in a small bowl. Mixing these dry ingredients first helps ensure even distribution in your hot chocolate.
3. Heat the Almond Milk: Heat the unsweetened almond milk over medium heat in a saucepan. Stir occasionally and heat until it’s hot but not boiling. You can also use a microwave-safe bowl to heat the milk in the microwave for about 2 minutes.
4. Whisk in the Cocoa Mixture: Once the almond milk is heated, gradually whisk in the cocoa powder and sugar substitute mixture. Whisk until the cocoa and sweetener fully dissolve, and the hot chocolate is smooth and well-blended.
5. Add Vanilla Extract and Salt: Stir pure vanilla extract and a pinch of salt. The vanilla enhances the flavor, while a bit of salt balances the sweetness.
6. Serve Your Hot Chocolate: Divide the hot chocolate evenly between two mugs.
7. Customize Your Toppings: If desired, top your Weight Watchers hot chocolate with light whipped cream, sugar-free mini marshmallows, or a light dusting of cocoa powder.
8. Enjoy Your Low-SmartPoints Treat: Sip and savor the guilt-free deliciousness of this Weight Watchers hot chocolate. You can indulge in the comforting warmth and rich chocolate flavor without compromising your SmartPoints.
- Adjust sweetness: Feel free to adjust the amount of powdered sugar substitute to suit your taste preferences. Remember that different sweeteners have varying levels of sweetness, so you may need to experiment a bit.
- Try different milk alternatives: If almond milk isn’t your preference, you can use other unsweetened milk alternatives like soy milk, coconut milk, or cashew milk.
- Experiment with flavorings: Add a pinch of cinnamon, a drop of peppermint extract, or a splash of sugar-free flavored syrups for a unique twist on your hot chocolate.
Now you have a delightful and low-calorie option for indulging in hot chocolate during your Weight Watchers journey. This recipe is perfect for those cozy evenings when you want a sweet treat without the guilt. Enjoy!
Nutrition facts of Weight Watchers Hot Chocolate Recipe:
7 health benefits of Weight Watchers Hot Chocolate Recipe:
1. Rich in fiber:
Cocoa powder, the main ingredient in Weight Watchers Hot Chocolate Recipe, contains large amounts of fiber, particularly insoluble fiber. Fiber helps keep the body full for longer, thus preventing you from snacking on unhealthy food. It also regulates the digestion process and prevents constipation.
2. Improves heart health:
The antioxidants contained in cocoa powder help prevent many diseases related to the heart. Antioxidants such as polyphenols can help lower LDL cholesterol levels, thus lowering the risk of a heart attack or stroke. Cocoa powder also contains unsaturated fatty acids and flavonoids, which are known to help prevent heart disease.
3. Prevents obesity:
The fiber in cocoa powder is very effective in preventing obesity. The fiber slows down the digestion of food, thus making you feel full for longer.
4. Controls blood glucose levels:
Studies have shown that the fiber in cocoa powder helps regulate blood glucose levels and prevents spikes and dips in your blood sugar level, thus controlling your diabetes symptoms.
5. Reduces the risk of cancer:
Cocoa powder contains significant amounts of flavonoids and theobromine, both antioxidants which can help prevent certain types of cancer.
6. Stimulates the metabolism:
The fiber in the cocoa powder helps slow down the digestion process, thus making you feel fuller for longer. This allows you to consume fewer calories because they are not as easily digested and absorbed. The fiber also stimulates metabolism, thus giving you the energy to work out or jog.
7. Boosts memory:
Cocoa powder contains flavonoids which are very effective in preventing age-related memory loss. The antioxidants in cocoa powder help prevent oxidative damage to the brain cells, thus preventing a decrease in cognitive functions. In addition, cocoa powder contains phenols which can help prevent dementia by allowing oxygen and blood flow to the brain.
Is hot chocolate drink well for weight loss?
Yes, the hot chocolate drink is good for weight loss. Cocoa powder can help provide you with enough fiber to help keep you full for longer. This prevents you from snacking on unhealthy foods between meals. Also, cocoa powder contains flavonoids known to reduce weight by preventing oxidative damage caused by free radical activity.
What milk is best for hot chocolate?
Any fat-free or low-fat milk will do as long as it is unsweetened.
Does Starbucks use water or milk in its hot chocolate?
It is 100% whole milk in Starbucks hot chocolate.
What is the best chocolate to use?
Whatever you have at home is better than any chocolate in stores. Natural cocoa powder will give the best taste. Here are some of the instructions on how to make your cocoa powder.
Does milk need to boil for hot chocolate?
No, milk does not need to boil to become hot chocolate. As long as it is unsweetened and fat-free, it will work just fine.
Can you make hot chocolate without a complicated recipe?
You don’t have to follow any complicated recipes to make hot chocolate. You can prepare this classic comfort food just by following the directions below. The process is accessible even to those who are new at cooking. With only a few essential ingredients, you can make an amazing-tasting drink in no time.
The drink is good for your health. Weight Watchers Hot Chocolate Recipe is a very healthy drink that contains only the best ingredients; it is also very delicious. You can make it at home by following the simple and easy-to-follow recipe. It can be stored in an airtight container, so you don’t have to worry about it doesn’t go well.