The whipped Cream Hot Chocolate Recipe is a favorite wintertime dessert for many people. It’s comprised of simple ingredients easily found at the grocery store or in your pantry, and it’s super easy to make.
This hot chocolate is an excellent substitution for those looking for a healthier option. The whipped cream topping adds flavor and keeps the chocolate from getting too sweet. Take some time to try this recipe out, and you will find it’s worth it!
What is Whipped Cream Hot Chocolate?
Whipped Cream Hot Chocolate is a popular hot chocolate recipe, and it’s one of those winter staples that can be made any time of the year. The signature addition to this dessert is the whipped cream topping, which adds tons of flavor and keeps the chocolate from getting too sweet.
What Kind of Chocolate Do You Use?
It doesn’t matter what kind you use, as long as it’s chocolate. If you have it on hand, try dark or semi-sweet chocolate to see if that gives the whipped cream topping a richer flavor.
How to Make Whipped Cream Hot Chocolate:
- Prepare Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 5 minutes
- Total Time: 10 m
- Serving Size: 1/2 cup
- 1 cup of milk, divided into 2 cups
- ¼ cup of cocoa powder (unsweetened)
- ¼ cup of sugar
- Whipped cream
- Cacao nibs or almonds to garnish.
- Heat 1 cup of milk in a small pot over low heat.
- Once it is warm, add the cocoa powder and sugar. Stir until smooth and combined.
- Pour this mixture into a mug and top with whipped cream, stirring to combine.
- Garnish with toasted cacao nibs or almonds, if desired.
This hot chocolate is similar to that made with coffee but without caffeine. You can enjoy this warm drink any time of the year, but it is especially comforting in the winter.
Nutrition Fact of Whipped Cream Hot Chocolate Recipe:
Serving ideas for Whipped Cream Hot Chocolate Recipe
- Serve hot or cold.
- Make a large batch to serve at your next party or family gathering.
- Add a scoop of ice cream to the top for a twist on an after-dinner treat.
- Serve with whipped cream and a splash of Bailey’s Irish Cream for an adult beverage that kids love, too!
- Make it kid-friendly by using chocolate syrup instead of cocoa powder and topping it with marshmallows and whipped cream for garnish.
- Feel free to add a touch of Kahlua to the drink for an adult twist on a hot chocolate treat.
- Whipped Cream Hot Chocolate Recipe can also be served with chocolate gelato or frozen yogurt.
Can you put whipped cream on a hot drink?
There are mixed opinions on this, but the consensus is that you can add whipped cream to your hot cocoa. The whipped cream will melt into the hot liquid and be a part of it, leaving you with a delicious drink. There are also some suggestions that it will taste better if you make the whipped cream into little chocolate mousse balls before adding them to your drink.
If you decide to add whipped cream to your hot cocoa, a few things need to be considered. One, the whipped cream will gradually melt into the cocoa powder, so don’t use too much. If you want a genuinely bubbly drink, you must whip it ahead of time (or at least mix it with some extra milk). Remember that the more milk you use in your recipe, the better (more milk equals less cocoa powder).
Is it healthy?
It is surprising how healthy this dessert is. The only sugar in the mix comes from the sugar in the cocoa powder, but you can use unflavored or unsweetened cocoa powder (which has no sugar). So, if you decide to skip the whipped cream topping, this hot chocolate recipe will not have any added sugar (and it will still taste great). It is made from milk and cocoa powder and has a hint of vanilla which is also a healthy alternative.
How to Store these recipes?
This whipped cream hot chocolate recipe will last a few days if you put it in the fridge. If you want to make it last even longer, use an airtight container and store it in the freezer. However, remember that this is a dessert recipe and will not last as long as other foods.
To freeze your whipped cream hot chocolate
- Please wait until your drink is completely cooled down, and place it into freezer-safe dishes or cups with lids.
- Make a lid for this container by cutting a piece of parchment paper to fit over the cup.
- Wrap the paper tightly around the cup, using a rubber band to hold it.
- Fill the container with your whipped cream hot chocolate and freeze it for a couple of hours (or overnight if you have time).
- Take the container out of the freezer before serving, and just peel off the top layer of paper when ready to do it.
Whipped Cream Hot Chocolate is a wintertime classic that can be enjoyed no matter how you like it. The hot chocolate recipe can easily be made with only three ingredients and is a favorite for many. Whether you want to make it for yourself or a larger group of people, this dessert recipe is always a good idea!
I hope you enjoy this whipped cream hot chocolate recipe as much as I do. If you don’t have any on hand, add this to your list of must-try desserts!