Duncan Hines Dark Chocolate Fudge Cake Mix Recipe is the perfect cake mix for the chocolate lover. This cake mix is easy to make and has a rich chocolate taste without ghastly cocoa powder. The recipe can be found on Duncan Hines’s website, but it is also available in many grocery stores around the US.
This cake takes about an hour to make and two hours to cool in the refrigerator or freezer before you enjoy
How to make Duncan Hines Dark Chocolate Fudge Cake Mix Recipe?
- Prepare time: 45 min
- Cook time: 35 min
- Total time: 1 hr 20 min
- Serves: 16 servings
Ingredients for Duncan Hines Dark Chocolate Fudge Cake Mix Recipe:
- 2 c AP flour 1 c sugar 1 t baking powder
- ½ t salt 3 T cocoa powder (1/8 t – 1/4 t)
- ½ t baking soda
- ¼ t baking powder
- ½ c buttermilk
- 2 eggs (1/3 c. egg yolk + 2 whole eggs)
- 2 T butter, melted 20 drops of pure vanilla extract
Preheat oven to 325°F and line a 9 x 13-inch pan with aluminium foil or parchment paper.
Combine dry ingredients in a large bowl and whisk until there are no lumps.
In a separate bowl, combine wet ingredients and stir with a fork until mixed (do not beat). Gradually mix the dry ingredients with a large spoon or spatula until no flour streaks are visible. Evenly spread batter in the prepared pan and bake for 30 to 35 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the centre comes clean.
Allow cooling completely, then cover with plastic wrap and freeze for 2 hours. Cut into squares and serve.
Notes for Duncan Hines Dark Chocolate Fudge Cake Mix Recipe:
Special diet: The cake mix is gluten-free. It does not contain dairy or eggs, so it is vegan-friendly. It can be made kosher by substituting kosher-for-Passover baking powder for regular baking powder.
For vegetarians, the recipe can be made dairy-free by substituting 2 T vinegar for 2 T butter and 2 T sugar for 2 T sugar.
Serving ideas for Duncan Hines Dark Chocolate Fudge Cake Mix Recipe:
- Cover with a thin chocolate ganache layer and a chocolate glaze to make a rich, sumptuous, dense cake.
- Top the cake with sliced strawberries or raspberries and serve with vanilla ice cream.
- Add 2 to 3 tablespoons of cocoa powder (¼ cup total) to give this cake a more robust chocolate flavour.
- Use 2 cups of buttermilk instead of 1 cup water and ¾ cup of buttermilk for an extra creamy texture and rich flavour.
- Replace ¼ cup of water with shortening or margarine so the cake is more moist and chewy.
- Use this recipe as a base for a white chocolate cake. Dissolve 3 tablespoons of instant coffee in 2 T milk to make a coffee-flavoured batter for the cake.
- Add 1 tablespoon of maple syrup to lighten up the brown sugar in this recipe and add moisture and sweetness. Speculate that this might result in an improved texture as well, but it is just as good without it.
Nutrition Fact of Duncan Hines Dark Chocolate Fudge Cake:
|Calories||218 (calculated using all ingredients)|
|Total Fat||15 g|
|Saturated Fat||4 g (calculated using all ingredients)|
|Total Carbohydrates||40 g|
|Dietary Fiber||1 g (calculated using all ingredients)|
|Sugars||36 g (calculated using all ingredients)|
|Vitamin A||5 %|
|Vitamin C||3 %|
Healthy benefits of Duncan Hines Dark Chocolate Fudge Cake:
- It is a good source of dietary fibre and protein.
- This recipe is low in calories and fat but high in nutrition because of the healthy fats it contains.
- Duncan Hines Dark Chocolate Fudge Cake can make healthier alternatives to regular chocolate cake, such as dark chocolate chips instead of regular chocolate chips.
- Weight Watchers even recognised this cake as an excellent choice for meal-based programs due to its low-calorie count (1 slice contains 45 calories).
- The cake is a good source of potassium and manganese, which helps keep the body’s fluid and electrolyte balance intact.
- Potassium also helps regulate the activity of heart muscles and the contraction of muscles in general.
- Manganese assists in building strong bones, cartilage, and connective tissue.
- It is rich in iron, which helps with oxygen transport in the body and plays a role in building healthy blood cells.
Duncan Hines Dark Chocolate Fudge Cake Mix Recipe is an excellent choice for a healthier dessert or snack. It contains high protein, fibre, iron, and potassium but very few calories and fat. This recipe can easily be adapted to various diets, such as kosher for Passover or gluten-free for celiacs. Cocoa powder can be added to the batter for a richer flavour and texture.
I hope that you will enjoy your Duncan Hines Dark Chocolate Fudge Cake!
If you found this article helpful, please click the Recommend button below. Thanks!
Does this cake mix have eggs?
Yes. The cake mix has 2 whole eggs, 2 egg yolks and 1 cup of buttermilk.
Can I use butter instead of shortening or margarine in the Duncan Hines Dark Chocolate Fudge Cake?
Yes. This recipe is designed to work with coconut oil because it has a similar consistency to shortening or margarine. However, you can use butter or margarine if you don’t have coconut oil.
What is the shelf life of this Duncan Hines Dark Chocolate Fudge Cake?
Its shelf life is indefinite if stored in a cool, dry place with no direct sunlight. If its contents are exposed to direct sunlight for an extended period, its shelf life will be shorter.
The Duncan Hines Dark Chocolate Fudge Cake Mix is gluten-free but doesn’t contain dairy or eggs. Can I use a vegan egg replacer substitute?
Yes. Substitute the eggs with 2 T white vinegar and 1 T canola oil to replicate the egg. However, due to the vinegar in the recipe, you may have to let this mixture sit for at least an hour before using it.
My cake is too dense and browned on top after baking it in a 9×13″ pan/tin.